Services for Tenants


Tenants information and terms & conditions to rent a property from City Lord Ltd.

Findng a Propert

Prospective tenants should view any property they wish to consider, whereafter they can submit an application to rent. All properties are available on Assured Shorthold Agreements for a minimum of six months. Longer periods can be agreed by separate negotiation.

Student tenants will need a guarantor. The guarantor will also be referenced, named on the Tenancy Agreement and need to sign the Tenancy Agreement. If a guarantor cannot be provided, the tenant can choose to pay rent in advance, subject to our approval.

All applicants will be required to produce identification before a tenancy is confirmed. We will require photographic ID (passport or driver’s licence), together with a recent utility bill or bank statement as proof of address.

Reserving Your Chosen Rental Property

It will be forfeited should the applicant withdraw their application, fail to pass reference checks, or is not in a position to complete the tenancy on/before the agreed date as set by the Notification of Letting.

Properties are offered either furnished or unfurnished but all will have at least carpeting and curtains. The degree to which properties are furnished varies, and prospective tenants are encouraged to discuss whether they are seeking a fully furnished or unfurnished property. In certain instances, landlords may provide additional items of furniture or appliances.


An inventory will be prepared, detailing the fixtures and fittings in the property together with their condition. You will be required to sign a schedule of condition confirming you agree with the inventory. The inventory will be used when you leave the property to assess any damage or dilapidation to the property.

With allowances made for fair wear and tear, any damage noted or cleaning required will be charged to an outgoing tenant. It is strongly advised that you check the inventory carefully to ensure you are in agreement with it.

Upon receipt of the inventory, you will be given 48 hours to make any further comments. If we do not hear from you within this time, it will be assumed you are in agreement with the inventory.

Household Bills & Expenses

All tenancies are exclusive of utility bills, water rates, gas, electric, council tax, telephone charges, TV licence and a tenant’s personal contents insurance (unless otherwise stated) and tenants will be responsible for their payment.

Where City Lord Ltd manages a property, we will advise the various suppliers of your occupancy. However, tenants must contact suppliers to set up an account and contact the local council with regards to council tax.


Garden maintenance will usually be the responsibility of a tenant unless otherwise stated.

Payment of Rent

Rent is payable monthly and in advance. Tenants will be required to establish a standing order arrangement with the landlord or a managing agent’s bankers.

Domestic Pets

Domestic pets are not permitted unless agreed in writing and it is common for an additional security deposit to be held. Carpets must be professionally cleaned, sanitized, deodorized and anti-bacteria/flea-treated on vacating the property. The original invoice for the cleaning must be supplied to confirm this has been done. If evidence is not supplied, City Lord Ltd or the landlord will arrange for this to be carried out and the cost deducted from a deposit.


Smoking is not permitted in a property.

Contents Insurance

If you would like further information on contents insurance please contact your insurance provider.

Tenants will be informed at the start of a tenancy who is managing the property and given contact details. Many landlords have service contracts and preferred contractors, so if the landlord is managing the property, any maintenance issues must be reported directly to them.

Failure to do so may mean you are liable for any deterioration or damage resulting from delay. You must not instruct a contractor to undertake any work as if you do it will be at your own expense.

If City Lord Ltd is managing the property, any maintenance issues must be reported to us directly. We will endeavour to address maintenance issues as soon as possible and emergency repairs will be addressed within 24 hours. We always request our contractors contact you directly to obtain access to the property.

If you are a Tenant in a Property Managed by City Lord, please note we do not offer a 24 hour management service. Our Property Management Departments London Office operates Monday to Friday 9.30am to 6.00pm. Outside of these hours tenants may wish to organise their own emergency remedies by calling the appropriate utility providers or the emergency services.

The following regulations must be adhered to without failure by the Landlord and as Agents we must ensure that they are carried out.

Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations 1994 (1996) A qualified Engineer (CORGI or British Gas) must check all gas appliances and fitted installations annually. This includes such items as Gas Fires, Central Heating boilers, Gas cookers and other gas appliances. It also insists that flues and chimneys are clear of obstructions and in the correct place. A Gas Safety Record (GSR) must be kept with the dates of inspection and any defects identified. This record must be provided to the tenant upon signing the tenancy agreement. A gas appliance with an open flue should not be installed in a bedroom. Where the gas meter is installed in a meter box, you should supply the tenant with a suitably labeled key to the box. After work on any gas appliance, a defined series of safety checks must be performed.

Instructions for any gas appliance must be left for the tenant.

Any gas appliance that is suspected or known to be faulty or incorrectly installed must not be used by anyone and should be removed/replaced or repaired immediately.

Ventilation is needed for gas appliances to work correctly and safely. You should take care not to block vents and air bricks.

Any items that fail to comply with the regulations must be fixed or removed immediately.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 these regulations require that all Electrical equipment left at the property be “safe and of no risk or injury to human or animal?.

They should check that flexes, fuses and electrical output are safe and correct. Items that must comply are all portable electrical items such as electric cooker, fridge’s, washing machines, kettles, toasters etc. From 1st January 2005, all domestic electric installation work (particularly in kitchens and bathrooms) must be carried out by a Government “Approved? contractor.

In addition, electrical contractors will have to verify that the work complies with British Standard Safety Requirements (BS7671). Failure to comply with these regulations is a criminal offence and could result in fines of up to £5,000 and/or imprisonment.

City Lord Real Estate we cannot certify which items are safe or not and will recommend that a qualified electrician checks these items (a charge will be made). This can be carried out by your own electrician.

Only use “Competent Approved? contractors.

Ensure that cracked/damaged sockets or plugs and frayed wiring is made good (1994 Plugs and Sockets Act). Ensure all appliances are safe to use prior to any let – i.e. cooker/kettle/toaster etc. Property should be inspected and tested at least every 10 years by a “Competent Person? (Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994) All socket outlets which may be used for equipment outdoors (e.g. a lawnmower) should be protected by a Residual Current Device (RCD) Retain copies of any certificates of electrical works carried out For full details of current legislation. visit

Fire and Furnishings (Safety) Regulations 1988 (1993) - All soft furnishings such as settees, sofas, beds, padded chairs, pillows cushions and must comply with the Fire Resistance requirements contained within the regulations. Items of furniture made prior to 1950 are termed as antiques and as such are excluded from the regulations.

These regulations were amended in 1993 and it is now an offence to install any furniture in let properties which does not comply with the regulations. The regulations apply to beds, mattresses and headboards, scatter cushions and pillows, stretch or loose covers for furniture, children’s furniture, garden furniture and any items of similar type fillings which must carry the appropriate labels of compliance.

Upholstered furniture must have fire resistant filling material and must pass a cigarette resistance test. Permanent covers must pass a match resistance test. Usually a label is attached to the item of furniture to confirm it is acceptable. The regulations do not apply to Antique furniture or any made before 1st January 1950. Bedclothes (including duvets and pillowcases) Loose covers for mattresses, curtains Carpets, sleeping bags, cushion covers.

Whilst only properties built after 1992 legally require the fitting of smoke detectors (Building Regulation 1991), we would strongly recommend that smoke detectors are fitted to each floor of the property being let.

The penalty for failure to comply with statutory safety legislation is currently a maximum of £5,000 and/or 6 months imprisonment for each offence. This can be harsher in the case of injury or fatality.

The above is only a guide to the legal safety requirements and should you have any further enquiries, we would recommend that you contact a qualified solicitor who will be able to verify these in full.

If you are a Tenant in a Property Managed by City Lord, please note we do not offer a 24-hour management service. Our Property Management Department’s London office operates Monday to Friday 9.30am to 6.00pm. Outside of these hours tenants may wish to organise their own emergency remedies by calling the appropriate utility providers or emergency services.

NOTE – Tenants are reminded that the costs for any repairs they commission will need to be approved by the Property Management Department before they can be deducted from rent or reimbursed to tenants. By instructing your own repairs prior to obtaining this consent (even through our approved contractor) you run the risk of not being reimbursed if the Landlord concludes that the cost of the repairs is excessive or that the Landlord is not liable for them. Please consider whether a repair can wait until the Property Management Department next opens. The vast majority of property issues can wait until the next day when you will be able to contact your Property Manager or sending an email to

  • brand image
  • brand image
  • brand image
  • brand image
  • brand image
  • brand image
  • brand image
  • brand image
  • brand image
  • brand image
  • brand image